Friday 29 March 2013

Classmate Challenge

Now that classes are done and we're just waiting for our internships to start, Myriam Lublink and I decided to challenge each other, to keep the momentum, with a "staff class" assignment.  One day, quick shoot turnaround that had to be emailed to each other same day.

She's in Belgium so I challenged her to "Find and photograph a person with a connection to Canada in the First World War".  Here's what Myriam came up with.

She challenged me to take a managed portrait of a musician AND (as a bonus) to try and get a weather feature.

I had a much harder time than I anticipated finding a musician who was available before my deadline.  I ended up submitting my weather feature by deadline and doing the musician shoot (with Daniel Chalmers) later that night.

I'm really happy with my results.  I've always had a harder time doing weather features so this was a great push towards getting over that stumbling block.

With the musician shoot - it was all about lighting and set up, which aren't my strongest skills, but I just went with it and gave it the time it deserved.  I'm thrilled with the final result.

KINGSTON, Ont. (28/03/2013) -- Al Walker and his grandson Eric Hudson, 3, feed the birds from the launch behind Portsmouth Olympic Harbour on Thursday, March 28, 2013.  Walker's wife tried something different and toasted the stale bread for the bird, which didn't go over very well with the ducks.  Photo by Julia McKay
KINGSTON, Ont. (28/03/2013) -- Local musician Daniel Chalmers, 24, has been playing music for over fourteen years.  Drums, keyboard, guitar and bass are just the cornerstone of his instrumental chops.  Chalmers is also a member of Bellfonix, the Monday night house band at The Mansion bar and restaurant.  Photo by Julia McKay
 -30-

No comments:

Post a Comment