Thursday 17 January 2013

Spot News - EB 401 near Gardiners Rd

OK - really?

So, I kinda thought Monday's spot news was just really good luck but I, once again, hung around the newsroom at school a bit later than normal, which put me in the right place at the right time to get the tweet about a vehicle fire on the 401 a few exits ahead of where I was, driving home.

This was my first major highway spot news so I was a bit nervous, but once I saw a few other cars had pulled past the scene and were parked near the ditch with their 4-ways on I just followed suit.  I parked, switched to my long lens, grabbed my purse (forgot my mitts) and grabbed my reflective vest from the trunk.

There was an off duty OPP constable waiting by one of the cars - she told me that the driver and her passenger were both ok (thank god) and were waiting in her car for the fire trucks.  

I didn't realize how cold it was until my fingertips started to hurt.  I luckily had my big gloves in my coat pocket but forgot my under gloves in the car - the big gloves have flip fingers for the index and thumb so when I'm shooting I can feel the camera controls.

While I was waiting for the on-duty constable to come back to speak with me I contacted the local daily paper to let them know I was on scene.  I have since sent them three images (1st, 3rd and 4th). 

I'm kinda proud of the images I produced from this - with the cold, my nerves and standing on the 401 with cars whipping past I was able to stay calm and shoot for the moment.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment